The 2021 FA Symposium Website is now LIVE!
This event website is your one-stop-shop for all things symposium related.
Visit the symposium website to…
- Submit your abstract (NOW OPEN!)
- Register for the meeting (available starting May 3)
- Download the symposium agenda (available starting June 23)
- Learn more about the new meeting format and how to participate on the event dates
What is the Symposium?
Research is at the heart of what we do. That’s why every year, FARF gathers prominent and aspiring FA researchers and clinicians together to share the latest updates in research and treatment and to form new collaborations. The FARF Scientific Symposium will be hosted virtually in 2021 due to safety concerns related to the ongoing global coronavirus pandemic. The 2021 Symposium will be offered as a four-part virtual series throughout the month of July and will focus on four key areas relevant to FA research: gene therapy, bone marrow failure, DNA repair, and cancer. Each topic will be covered in a one-day event and will incorporate live oral talks, panels, and an interactive social reception.
Gene Therapy in Fanconi Anemia | Thursday, July 8, 2021
Meeting Co-Chairs: Paula Rio, PhD, and Juan Bueren, PhD
Understanding and Treating Hematopoietic Failure and Malignant Predisposition in FA | Thursday, July 15, 2021
Meeting Co-Chairs: Sharon Cantor, PhD, and Peter Kurre, MD
When Watson and Crick Get Linked: Origins and Repair of DNA ICLs | Thursday, July 22, 2021
Meeting Chair: Agata Smogorzewska, MD, PhD
Fanconi Anemia and Solid Tumors: Paths Towards Prevention and Cure | Thursday, July 29, 2021
Meeting Co-Chairs: Susanne Wells, PhD and Parinda Mehta, MD
Key Dates & Deadlines
April 5 – May 21 Abstract Submission Period
June 4 Abstract Notification to Authors
May 3 – July 29 Registration Period (Free registration)
2021 Abstract Submissions: Important Changes
- Topics: Authors’ submission(s) will need to fall under one of the four meeting topics (gene therapy, bone marrow failure, DNA repair or cancer) to be considered.
- Review Process: Meeting chairs will review submitted abstracts according to their assigned topic. Selected (oral) abstracts will be incorporated into one of the four meeting agendas based on their submission topic. Abstracts that are not selected for oral presentation will be selected as a poster.
- The 2021 symposium series will not host live a live poster session. Selected poster abstracts will be available for participants to view through a downloadable link. Registered participants will be encouraged to reach out to the presenting (poster) author with questions via email. Contact emails for presenting authors will be listed on each abstract.
- Awards: Each symposium meeting (gene therapy, bone marrow failure, DNA repair and cancer) will be awarding a $500 USD prize for the best abstract. Meeting chairs will determine the awardee for their symposium day. Recipients will be personally notified in early June and will be announced to the public on their specific meeting date. FARF will issue awards in the form of a check (Note: International awardees may have the option to receive funds via bank transfer). FARF will reach out to awardees following the symposium series end date to initiate the funding process.